By Krystal Fowler - Lifestyle editor
The Betterment Or Bust group has been going strong over the past year, working on projects at the city's parks, the 18-80 Club, the VFW as well as other places around town.
On Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. the group invited supporters, volunteers and others to a Christmas celebration at the VFW Hall. For several hours guests dropped in to visit and eat some of the delicious foods, drinks and desserts offered.
BOB is a completely volunteer and donation based organization. They raise money for local projects and don't receive any government subsidies.
Some of the projects completed or worked on in the last year include:
• Clean up of the two city parks
• Held boat rides to fund raise for park projects
• Tennis court clean up at the two city parks
• Construction of the frisbee golf course at Morgan E. Cline Park
• Place donation boxes at area businesses to benefit the parks and other projects
• Cleaned and painted the trolley garage and State Street Station
• Power washed and painted a local house and garage on South 18th Street
• Found a garden shed and black dirt for the community garden
• Constructed four raised bed gardens for the Seeds of Hope project
• Helped the Chamber of Commerce sell Pancake Day tickets
• Worked on Pancake Day clean up
• Organized Taste of Heritage Dinner to raise money for 18-80 club updates
• Installing new lights and windows at 18-80 Club
• Organized the Chaldea Chuckwagon Sandwich contest at the Appanoose County Fair
• Held car wash and VFW vendor fairs to raise money for VFW updates
• Organized an art print raffle
• Organized and held the first BOB Mob run
• Working on Safe Routes to School project
According to the group their goals include adding and improving the playground equipment in the city parks, improving or demolishing four homes per year, reaching our to as many existing groups as possible to help them with their fundraising efforts, promoting a sense of pride in all citizens of Centerville and surrounding area and to be project specific with their fundraising efforts and transparent with all money accumulated and spent.
They are also always looking for more volunteers, more ideas and more opportunities to work in the community. The BOB group meets every Tuesday evening at 7:30 p.m. at Centerville City Hall. Everyone in welcome.