Friday, Feb. 22
Sharon Bluffs State Park shelterhouse, 7 p.m.
Join Amber Hoffman as she shares her favorite book as a child, “Owl Moon” and her ever growing passion for owls and birds of prey. You might even get to meet one up-close and personal. After reading the story we will go on our own moonlit hike, weather permitting. So wear appropriate clothing for hiking and warmth. We will also have warm refreshments for afterwards.
Winter Wildlife Hike
Saturday, Feb. 23
Sharon Bluffs State Park shelterhouse, 1 p.m.
It’s time to put those hiking boots back on. Meet Amber Hoffman at the shelterhouse at Sharon Bluffs State Park to head off on another adventure; this time looking for evidence that the forest around us is very much alive and awake, as we hike back to Center 2000. Once we have returned we will use plaster-of-paris and make some wildlife tracks of our own. Hopefully of some of the animals that we were able to witness first-hand, just earlier on the hike.
Maple Syrup I
Sunday, Feb. 24
Sharon Bluffs State Park shelterhouse, 1 p.m.
Ever wondered how you get that wonderful honey colored maple syrup from the clear sap from the maple tree. Come watch us tap our maple trees here at Sharon Bluffs State Park. This is only the beginning, it does take some time.
All programs may be postponed or cancelled due to severe weather. Call the ACCB office, listen to KMGO/KEDB radio, or check out my blog, Naturalist Niche on Appanoose County’s page at www.iowalivingmagazines.com for updates.
- Local News
- Sedan Bottoms bird conservation area dedication The public is invited to celebrate the dedication of the Sedan Bottoms Wildlife Management Area as a state and national bird conservation area July 3 at 1:30 p.m. The ceremony, hosted by the DNR and the Appanoose County Conservation Board, will take
- Here come the candidates The Centerville City Council at Monday night's regular meeting made no changes to the itinerary for the two-day visit the five city administrator candidates will make this Friday and Saturday. The five candidates are Patrick Antonen, Darrel Steven Ca
- Monthly clinic The regular monthly immunization clinic is Tuesday, June 25 from 1-4 p.m. by appointment only at Appanoose County Public Health office, 209 E. Jackson St., Centerville. Childhood immunizations available include: DTaP, Polio, MMR, Varicella, Hep. A &
Facilities open for use at Rathbun despite high water
With high water levels at Rathbun Lake this spring, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers reports the lake has crested and is lowering and that park facilities are open and ready for use.
- IHCC Honor Roll students OTTUMWA -- Indian Hills Community College has released the names of the students who were on the college's academic Honor Roll for the 2013 Spring Term. To be included on the Honor Roll, an IHCC student must be enrolled full-time and have a grade poi
- Local man is catalyst for Parkinson's Support Group Thanks to Jerry Boblenz, a Parkinson’s Support Group is starting in Appanoose County. Mercy Medical Center will be holding an initial meeting on Thursday, June 20 at 5:30 p.m. in the south cafeteria of the hospital. Thinking that he probably had a p
- Kirkwood Community College announces graduates CEDAR RAPIDS -- Kirkwood Community College has announced the graduating class of 2012-2013. College faculty and administration joined friends and family in saluting the grads at commencement ceremonies at the Cedar Rapids Ice Arena in Cedar Rapids, M
- Truman State University announces Spring 2013 President's List KIRKSVILLE, Mo. -- Truman State University has released the Spring 2013 President's List. To qualify for this list, an undergraduate student must attain a semester 4.0 grade point average and must complete 12 semester hours of credit. Founded in 186
- Appanoose County road work County road work The Appanoose County Secondary Road Department reports the following road travel restrictions started Monday for 150th Avenue from 15129 150th Avenue to approx. 0.20 miles north of 15129 150th Avenue to replace a culvert. It is expe
- Congressman Loebsack tours Rathbun Lake Watershed Of the many hats worn by John Sellers -- including Rathbun Land and Water Alliance Board Member, conservation minded landowner, Wayne County Supervisor and Soil and Water Conservation District Commissioner -- he added tour guide to the list when Cong
- Moravia blood drive Moravia Ruritan will hold a Moravia Community Blood Drive on Tuesday, June 25 at 1:30-6:30 p.m. at the Nazarene Church Fellowship Hall in Moravia. Blood donors are especially needed during the summer months as blood donations tend to decrease this t
- CHS Honor Roll Centerville High School fourth quarter Honor Roll * indicates 4.0 Ninth Grade Bailey, Braden *Barger, Alyssa Dean Becker, Desmond Chance *Boyle, Colleen Frances Bridges, Alissa Katelyn Butler, Wesley Michael *Caylor, Emily Marie Chapman. Melissa Lyn
- WEEKLY CALENDAR MONDAY 17 CENTERVILLE LEGION?POST 214, meets the second Monday of each month at 7 p.m. at the Continental at St. Joseph's in the meeting room to the right of the V.A. office. APPANOOSE COUNTY WEEKLY MEALS, invites everyone to enjoy a free meal and fe
Itinerary for administrator search
One item on the agenda for tonight's Centerville City Council meeting that goes into some detail is the itinerary for the search for a city administrator. Tonight's council meeting starts at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall.
- Conger answers call to service in FEMA Corps SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Rachel Conger, of Centerville, is one of 154 Sacramento-based young people serving in the nation's first class of FEMA Corps, a new unit of the AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps solely devoted to disaster preparedness
- More Local News Headlines