- Local News
- Veterans group awards $1,750 in scholarships The Appanoose County Veteran's Association awarded three $250 and one $1,000 scholarships to four senior students attending Centerville, Moravia and Moulton-Udell high schools. Scholarship applicants were required to have a 2.0 grade point average or
- Encourages kids to 'Jump into Summer' On Saturday, June 1 the Rathbun Lake Area YMCA is celebrating Healthy Kids Day with a free community event for kids and families in Appanoose County. The YMCA's Healthy Kids Day event will take place at Rathbun Lake Area YMCA, 708 S. Main St. in Cen
- Centerville, Moravia students win scholarships COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Shelby Nicole Thamke, a graduating senior at Centerville High School and Nicole Dawn Self, a graduating senior at Moravia Community School each won a $2,000 MFA Foundation scholarship. Thamke is the daughter of Marcy and Aaron Thamk
- Centerville flooring business has new owners A 65-year-old business fixture in Centerville is changing ownership as the owner has decided to retire. Ron Mitchell, owner of Mitchell's Floor Covering, has decided to retire after guiding the family-run business since moving back home from Denver,
- 69-year-old leads deputies on high speed chase A homeless man driving a stolen vehicle May 15 in Appanoose County at 2:30 a.m. in an attempt to elude law enforcement rammed the pursuing patrol car and is now facing five class D felony charges. Roy Steed Cope, 69, has been charged by the Appanoose
- Friends raise more than $450 Friends raise more than $450 The Friends of the Drake Public Library raised more than $450 to pay for new books for the Drake Public Library from the Bake Sale for Books event Saturday, May 11. May 22 'American Cancer Society Day' DES MOINES -- In h
UPDATE 11:42 p.m.: Customers without power now below 1,000
Severe storms moving through the area caused over a thousand to loose power Sunday night.
Severe weather expected today
OTTUMWA -- Southeast Iowa will likely see the return of severe weather Sunday. Forecasters say there is a very high chance of thunderstorms this afternoon and evening and some could become severe.
- BOB volunteers complete window installation at 18-80 Club The 18-80 Club in Centerville recently received new windows with the help of local volunteers. "Our windows are in and look great," said Carla Wahl, with the 18-80 Club. "With the temp today [May 14] being in the 90's maybe they will open them up. T
- City Council budget amendment public hearing tonight The Centerville City Council at tonight's regular meeting will hold a public hearing amending the fiscal year 2013 budget, which ends June 30. The budget amendment calls for an additional $3.5 million in total revenues and other sources and an additi
- FFA trap competition Southern Iowa FFA trapshoot held on Sunday, April 28 at the Bloomfield Izaak Walton League and hosted by the Davis County and Centerville FFA chapters. Winners included Gabriella Buban of Wayne County at Corydon, top female. The top team was Moulton
- Centerville City Council Agenda for May 20 Centerville City Council Centerville City Council will meet Monday, May 20 at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall. Items on the agenda include approval of May 6 City Council meeting minutes, approval of April 11 Appanoose County Service Agency meeting minutes, a
- Prison term settles seven criminal cases A Centerville man facing 17 criminal counts in seven different felony, aggravated and serious misdemeanor cases in two southeast Iowa counties entered a guilty plea to three of the counts and was sentenced to state prison. The other 14 counts were di
- AC fair queen contest notice AC fair queen contest notice Contestants must be 16 to 21 years old as of Aug. 8. Contestants must be an active member of at least one worthwhile organization and be a resident of Appanoose County. Contestants must be present for the photo session,
- Work on 150th Avenue The Appanoose County Secondary Road Department reports the following road travel restrictions for 150th Avenue from 15129 150th Ave. to approximately .20 miles north of 15129 150th Ave. for a crossroad culvert replacement. Work started May 14 at 7 a.
- More Local News Headlines